Monday, October 31, 2011

Day 9: We made it!

Today, in the pouring rain, our group of pilgrims who started as strangers and have ended as friends, made our way to the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. It's hard to believe that we did it but we have officially joined the ranks of hundreds of thousands of pilgrims who have walked the Way of St. James.

Upon arriving, there were hugs and tears in the rain as we stood in front of the magnificent cathedral. From there we headed to the Pilgrims Office to receive our final stamp in our passport and the Compostela signifying we have met the requirements. Tomorrow we tour the cathedral and then we get to roam the city.

In retrospect I can't really say what I thought I would feel at the end of this journey. Certainly pride and a sense of accomplishment, but there is something else as well which I can't express in words. Something spiritual about walking the same steps as so many have done for thousands of years. All I know is that it has been an experience like no other in my life and I know it will remain with me forever.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment